Sequels often fall far short of the original. That doesn’t apply here. This is actually part 2 with more to come. “Sequel” sounded better in the title. I file this under the category “this is my blog and I can do whatever I want with the title.”
Here’s how I practice my guitar playing:
- I decide what I’m working on before I pick up the guitar.
- I decide how long I’m going to practice and set a timer.
- I have a metronome or drumbeat ready to use. Rhythm is everything.
- I warm-up with simple playing for a predetermined time.
- I focus on the work. I don’t think about how badly I’m playing. I don’t think about how great I’m playing. Actually, I try not to think about anything at all!
When practicing, focus on the work. All other thoughts are a distraction and a waste of your practice time.
The key is to practice music you really enjoy, and create a habit out of these 5 steps. Habits take time and are often filled with missteps. Be patient and under-achieve a little bit each day.